The City Hall Square (Rådhuspladsen) is a public square in the centre of Copenhagen, Denmark, located in front of the Copenhagen City Hall.
The square is located at the southwestern end of the pedestrian street Strøget.
Due to its large size, its central location and its affiliation with the city hall, it is a popular venue for a variety of events, celebrations and demonstrations. It is often used as a central datum for measuring distances from Copenhagen.
Apart from the City Hall, notable buildings around the square include Politikens Hus, the headquarters of national Danish newspaper Politiken, and Industriens Hus, the headquarters of the DI. H. C. Andersen Slottet, at the corner of the Tivoli Gardens, also borders the square.
The City Hall Square is located on the grounds of the long gone Western Rampart of the 17th century bastioned fortifications of the city. It is located at the site of Schacks Bastion. When the fortifications were disbanded in the 1850s, the vacant land was used for a Nordic exhibition area. This was established from 1872–89 and included several large expo buildings, including a large domed wooden structure designed by Martin Nyrop who was later also to design the City Hall.
In the 1880s plans were conceived to build a new city hall on the grounds and in 1888 the expo area was cleared and an architecture competition was held in early 1889.
Apart from Nyrop who won the competition, Vilhelm Dahlerup and Valdemar Koch were among the participating architects.
On 28 July 1894, the foundation stone was laid and when it was inaugurated in 1905, the square in front of it became one of the most central and important spaces of the city.